Table of Contents
Putty is an windows application tool that can be used to make connections to the web servers. In this article we are discussing about how we can connect with EC2 instance using putty.
Lets dive into the steps or procedures to accomplish this.
As said before, you first need to download Putty application to proceed.
Download, the first aplicaton in the list i.e. “Download PuTTY”.
Once downloaded follow the below steps to access Ubuntu server or your EC2 instance/
Step 1: Create a .ppk file.
- To create a .ppk file before connecting with putty. Download and install putty gen https://www.puttygen.com/
- Load the existing private key or file i.e. your .pem file. This file should have been generated at the time of ec2 Instance creation.
- If you’re not able to locate the file, try changing the file type to all and then select and load the file into the application.
- Move the mouse over the putty gen application. Set passprase in case you want. And, Click on Save Private Key.
- The private key would have the .ppk file extension.
Step 2: Connect using PuTTY.
- Open Putty.
- Enter the host (it would be the IP that you had associated with the Instance will be your Host (Elastic IP or Public IP)
- Click on SSH >> Auth and locate or browse your .ppk file.
- Click on open.
A CLI or command line interface will open up. And, will ask for your username.
It should ask for a pass phrase if you have setup during the .ppk file generation.
Once, connected.. you’re done.